The History of Lewis’s Ice Cream Cafe in Morecambe
Lewis’s Ice Cream is synonymous with Morecambe, being founded by Bruno Rastelli-Lewis in 1952. Bruno married Margret Anthony, whose father John Anthony owned Anthony’s ice cream shop in Poulton Square, Morecambe. Guided by Mr. Anthony’s recipe, Bruno embarked on his journey, purchasing the town’s first ice cream van, which proved to be a resounding success.
The business flourished, evolving from a modest shop with a small factory behind it into a large enterprise with a state-of-the-art production facility on the White Lund Estate. While the original Natural Dairy Ice Cream, made with fresh local farm milk and butter, remained the cornerstone of the business, Lewis’s expanded its menu to include sixteen different flavours. Moreover, they established their own bakery, producing gateaux and cakes for both domestic and export business. The reputation of their ice cream soared, finding its way to national markets and venues such as West End and city theatres in Manchester, Liverpool, and Edinburgh to name but a few.
Bruno and Margret expanded into coffee shops in Windermere and Bowness where David, their son, currently operates the Pier cafe. Kendal, Lancaster, Morecambe and Blackpool were also added to their business.